Geophysics for Non-Geophysicists
- Seismic exploration is one of the most powerful techniques for subsurface imaging. Through the study of acoustic waves propagated through the Earth’s layers and echoed back to the surface, we can learn about the structure, Stratigraphy, and lithology of the Earth. This course will provide first-hand experience with seismic data acquisition, processing, and interpretation.
- Upon completion of this training course, participants will be able to understand:
- The seismic Exploration Methods.
- The Basic Principles of Seismic Exploration.
- Basic Seismic Data Acquisition.
- Basic Seismic Data Processing.
- Basic Seismic Data Interpretations.
- Introduction and Theoretical Background; Introduction & Geophysical Methods
- Seismic Waves; Propagation Concepts, Classification, Wave Elements, Ray Paths,
- Ghost & Multiple Reflections, Refraction, Diffraction, Attenuation, Velocity&Reflection Coefficient
- Overview of Seismic Data Acquisition; Acquisition Fields, Systems, Geometries &Data Recording
- Noises Affecting Seismic Recording; Classification of Noises & Noises Examples
- Overview of Seismic Data Processing; Demultiplexing, Gain Recovery, AGC, Trace Editing & Muting, Static Corrections, Deconvolution, Filtering, NMO, Migration, etc
- Overview of Seismic Data Interpretation; 2D & 3D, Seismic-Well Tie, Structural & Stratigraphic Interpretation, AVO, Spectral Decomposition, Coherency, etc
Geologists, Geophysicists, Petrophysicists, and Engineers